We are a welcoming, inclusive faith community, seeking to respond to Christ's call to love and serve, through ministries of compassion and social justice. We seek to walk together in a life of discipleship, practicing worship, devotion, justice and compassion in our personal and communal life.
To provide a place of refuge that ministers to the spiritual, physical, mental, economical, and social needs of all God’s children–that worships, witnesses, and serves with a spirit of excellence.
(1st Sunday of every month) - 9:00 am
Sunday School: 9:00 am
Worship Service: 10:45 am
Rev. Ossie T. Brown, Jr.
& Dr. Sareta Brown
Senior Pastor & Elect Lady
The Reverend Ossie T. Brown, Jr. is a native of Macon, Georgia. He is the son of the late Deacon Ossie T. Brown, Sr and late Mrs. Clara Brown. Pastor Brown became dedicated to Christ at the age of twenty and soon after was called into the ministry in 1978. Ten years later, on March 20, 1988, he accepted the call to Canaan Hill Missionary Baptist Church to be Senior Pastor. Pastor Brown is a gifted preacher, teacher, and spiritual leader.
His education includes a Bachelor of Arts in Bible and Theology with a minor in Social Studies from American Baptist College and a Master of Divinity with a concentration in Christian Education from the Interdenominational Theological Center – Morehouse School of Religion. Currently, Pastor Brown has plans to complete his studies at Andersonville Theological Seminary for a Doctorate in Ministry.
Pastor Brown earned the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Air Force, Alabama Air National Guard by completing beginning, intermediate, and senior chaplain courses in the military. Now retired, Pastor Brown is known as the first African American Alabama Air National Guard Wing Chaplain of the 187th Fighter Wing in Montgomery, Alabama. Presently, he serves as a chaplain with the Alabama Department of Corrections, at Elmore Correctional Center.
Pastor Brown is the devoted husband of more than 30 years to Dr. Sareta V. Adams Brown, and the father of a very charismatic daughter, Oslynn Tiara. Pastor and Dr. Brown feel blessed to have family members that continuously support them in the ministry including mothers, brothers, sisters, and many nieces and nephews. To Pastor Brown, family is God’s most precious gift.
Originally named the Canaan Hill Missionary Baptist Church in 1888 under the leadership of Rev. R.D. Bibb. The first building was established on Washington Ferry Road, located behind the north section of present day Maxwell Air Force Base. On November 10, 1943 with Rev. W.Y. Nunn as the shepherd, Canaan Hill Baptist Church was dismantled and reassembled at 329 Air Base Boulevard.
In 1988, Rev. Ossie T. Brown, Jr. answered the call as Senior Pastor and has been diligently shepherding the flock since his initial assignment. As grace would have it, the congregation expanded and so The Sanctuary journey began. On July 2, 2000 Canaan Hill moved to its present day location on Ray Thorington Road and embraced the name change. The Sanctuary was and needed to be seen as a safe haven and place to find refuge.
The journey of The Sanctuary is a daily walk just as the walk of faith. The Sanctuary is what you make it, but more importantly it is and will continue to be a place that recognizes God as the creator and giver of life. We strive to share the Word of God as led by the Holy Ghost and teach the central Christian doctrine of Jesus, the Bible.
- Come Join Us - We'll Be Glad To Have You!